Our project finance team provides clients with expertise in a comprehensive range of project financings. We regularly advise on some of the most complex and challenging projects in Korea and our lawyers are highly experienced in advising both sponsors and lenders involved in projects across a range of industry sectors, especially in the growing energy, power generation, PPP SOC infrastructure and natural resource development sectors. With our established network of top-tier foreign law firms, we provide comprehensive all-inclusive services for all types of cross-border transactions in project finance.
Each transaction is different, and so our lawyers work closely with our clients to understand their business and their specific objectives. By working together with our experts in sectors such as securities, energy, SOC infrastructure, including power stations, plants, roads, bridges, railroads and harbors, as well as construction, real estate, tax and environment, we can cover every aspect of a transaction.
We have abundant accumulated experience in the full range of project financings including assisting export credit agencies such as Export-Import Bank and Trade Insurance Corporation on their financings. Furthermore, our team is a market leader in providing structuring advice for investment vehicles such as funds for investment in overseas infrastructure projects, investments by pension funds and financial institutions and the financings for these activities.
In addition, in line with global trends and our country’s growing emphasis on renewal energy, we have unrivaled experience and expertise in advising on new renewable energy projects including wind power, solar power, fuel cell, biomass and ESS related projects.
Shin & Kim’s services in connection with project financing are as follows:
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating project agreements such as implementation agreements, concession agreements, EPC contracts, O&M agreements, power purchase agreements, site use agreements and REC sale and purchase agreements.
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating agreements among investors such as shareholders agreement, joint venture agreements and other investment agreements.
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating financial agreements such as loan agreements, intercreditor agreements and security agreements.
- Preparing, reviewing and negotiating agreements related to the establishment and formation of investment vehicles
- Assisting and coordinating deal closing, including issuance of legal opinions
- Lotte Chemical, on its project for the construction of Louisiana Gas Chemical Plant (Ethylene Cracker) and ECA Financing
- Advised KEPCO on its acquisition of 30MW photovoltaic business in Colorado, USA
- Advised Korea Trade Insurance Corporation on its ECA Financing for Bahrain LNG (Import Terminal) project
- Advised Korea Gas Corporation, Lotte Chemical (former Honam Petrochemical) and STX Energy on the projects for development of gas fields and construction of gas chemical plants in Surgil, Uzbekistan
- Advised Daelim Industry on PPP project for the construction of waterworks in Peru
- Advised US-EXIM on increase in investment and change of investment structure for the copper development project in Bolero, Mexico
- Advised National Pension Corporation on its investment in the project for construction of Sabine Pass LNG Export Terminal (liquefaction terminal) in Louisiana, USA
- Advised KOSPO on refinancing for Daegu Green Power Co-generation Power Plant
- Advised KOSPO on project financing for Yeongnam LNG Combined Cycle Power Plant
- Advised GS Energy and Korea Western Power on project financing for Shinpyeongtak LNG Combined Cycle Power Plant (3rd complex) Power Generation Project
- Advised Daesung Industry, KEPCO Technology and KOSPO on project finance for Osan Cogeneration Project (DS Power)
- Advised on project finance for Boryeong LNG Terminal project
- Advised SK E&S on project finance for group energy construction project in Hanam Misa District
- Advised Mirae Asset Daewoo on Fiji biomass power generation project
- Advised on project finance for Yongwang Wind Power 2nd Project
- Advised on project finance for Jungam Wind Power Generation Project
- Advised on project finance for Petro Corner Fuel Cell Power Generation Project
- Advised on project finance for Noul Fuel Cell Power Generation Project
- Advised YeongGwang YakSu Wind Electric on ESS linked project
- Advised on project finance for Wind Power Generation Project in Hasa-ri, Yeonggwang and ESS project
Awards and Rankings
Ranked Band 1 Law Firm for Banking and Finance
Chambers Global / Chambers Asia 2014-2022
Ranked Tier 1 Law Firm for Banking and Finance
IFLR 1000, 2022
Project Finance Deal of the Year Award for a coal power generation project in Banh Phong, Vietnam
ALB Japan Law Awards 2020
Banking and Financial Services Firm of the Year
Asialaw Asia-Pacific Legal Practice Awards 2019
Projects Finance Deal of the Year : Bapco’s Refinery Expansion in Bahrain
ALB Korea Law Awards 2019
Ranked Tier 1 Law Firm for Banking and Finance
Asia Pacific Legal500 2013-2019
Projects, Energy and Infrastructure Deal of the Year: Canakkale Turkey Bridge and Motorway Project
ALB Korea Law Awards 2018
Firm of the Year 2014: Banking and Finance
Deals & Cases