General Tax Consulting
Our General Tax Consulting Practice is led by experienced attorneys and certified public accountants (CPAs) with extensive and thorough knowledge of tax practice. Our team is also comprised of licensed customs consultants and former tax officials, many of whom have had many years of hands-on experience at government institutions such as the National Tax Service, the Ministry of Strategy and Finance and the National Customs Service. Our tax experts provide full legal services including devising tax-saving strategies to address corporate tax, income tax, VAT, inheritance tax and gift tax issues. Our team also provides legal advice on various tax and customs related inquiries, advice on tax law amendments and services related to authoritative interpretation requests.
Shin & Kim provides the following tax-related services:
Tax Strategies and Planning
Our team provides comprehensive tax services to foreign as well as domestic companies, which include tax planning and analysis of major tax issues relating to real estate investment and investment in foreign and domestic companies.
Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Restructuring and Reorganizations
With respect to mergers and acquisitions, corporate divisions, transfers of business, restructurings and reorganizations, we offer comprehensive solutions combining solid legal and tax expertise with an innovative and forward-thinking approach. We also provide traditional services, including analysis of tax issues for business plans, estimated tax calculation, due diligence on tax matters, review of tax-related provisions in contracts and preparation of various tax filings.
We advise domestic and international financial institutions on a wide range of financial transactions, such as asset-backed securitization and sales of non-performing loans.
Tax on Inheritance and Gift
We offer a broad range of tax planning and advisory services covering major tax issues and devising tax saving schemes in compliance with Korean inheritance and gift tax laws.
Other Consulting Services
We advise on value-added tax and local tax issues. We also provide regular tax advice in connection with recurring matters such as establishment, operation, liquidation of a corporation, and valuation of various assets including stock. We also prepare valuation reports, authoritative interpretation requests and other documents relating to tax legislation.
- Representation of a bank on tax and eligibility of a merger and corporate division
- Representation of a company on tax implications regarding various types of bond transactions, such as issuance of new capital equity, covered bond and Islamic bond.
- Representation of companies engaged in acquisition finance and aircraft or shipping finance and the tax implications thereof
- Representation of numerous companies on M&As and real estate transactions and the tax implications thereof
- Representation of companies on tax compliance matters with the USFACTA and FBAR as well as Japan’s Offshore Property Reporting System
- Representation of Company A on tax implications of asset management portfolios, such as banking, securities and insurance solutions
- Representation of Company H on gift tax implications of funneling business to related companies prior to an IPO
- Representation of Company D on tax implications regarding the execution of an in-kind contribution to a foreign corporation and establishing a holding company in Hong Kong
- Representation of numerous companies on international taxation and tax implications of international investment
- Advising blue chip financial institutions and wealthy private clients on all tax matters
Awards and Rankings
M&A Deal of the Year : Acquisition of LINA Life Insurance of Korea,Cigna Korea and LINA Financial Service
ALB Korea Law Awards 2022
Best M&A Legal Advisor of the Year
Money Today Korea IB Awards 2022