Energy and Resources
Energy industry such as electric power and gas and oil is well known for its large-scale installations with natural monopolies in the market. In order to protect consumers and to promote fair competition in the market, this industry is highly regulated by special laws and regulations in contrast to other industries. The Energy & Resources Team at Shin & Kim provides specialized advisory service based on its deep understanding of such peculiarity of the energy industry. In addition, projects with large-scale installations in the energy industry are often combined with various types of financing techniques in order to raise the required funds. Our team, composed of experts in the project finance, provides a comprehensive one stop service in this industry.
The Energy & Resources Team at Shin & Kim is the most reputable and preferred with an outstanding expertise in the industry, for having the deepest understanding of the energy and resources industry including the development of overseas copper mines, coal mines, oil fields and the global LNG value chain. Our team also provides seasoned legal advice based on the in-depth understanding of the complete structure of the LNG projects ranging from the upstream and downstream activities, liquefaction and transport of LNG, export and import of LNG, regasification, pipeline network (midstream) to LNG power plants. In addition, our team also has unparalleled performances in providing legal advice in the fields of waste and photovoltaic power generation projects at home and abroad, fuel cells power generation and wind power generation projects at home. Our team has a wealth of experiences in overseas projects performed by domestic private corporations, public companies and institutes and financed by domestic financial institutions and export credit agencies (ECAs). Accordingly, our team has reputable clients including National Pension Service, mutual aid associations, banks and insurance companies which make alternative investments in energy and resources at home and abroad.
Shin & Kim’s Energy & Resources Team offers the following advisory services:
Power and power plants
- Nuclear power generation, hydroelectric power generation, coal and LNG power generation, combined heat and power generation (integrated energy), new and renewable energy and relating financing services including project financing.
- Regulations relating to the construction of power plants and plants (regulations on the project site and environmental regulations including environmental impact assessment).
- Construction contracts of power plants and plants (EPC and O & M contracts).
- Disputes of the construction of power plants and plants.
Energy (Oil & Gas)
- Oil fields, natural gas fields, LNG, land transport (pipelines), marine transport (ship), refinery facilities (land and marine), processing facilities, LNG terminals (liquefied, gasified), oil terminals and relevant chemical plants and relating financing services including project financing.
- Financing services including project financing with respect to mineral resources and water resources (including water, water re-use, desalination).
- M&As of companies in the power, energy and resources industries.
- Laws and regulations relating to power, energy and resources industries.
- Advice with respect to the Electric Utility Act, the Petroleum and Alternative Fuel Business Act, the Urban Gas Business Act, the Safety Control and Business of Liquefied Petroleum Gas Act, the Act on the Promotion of the Development, Use and Diffusion of New and Renewable Energy, the Integrated Energy Supply Act, the Energy Use Rationalization Act and the Overseas Resources Development Business Act.
- Advice to a company on its project financing for bio mass power generation projects in Gunsan, Yeosu, Jeju and Gangneung.
- Advice to a company on its project financing for fuel cells power generation projects of Noeul Green Energy and Petroconergy.
- Advice to a company on its project financing for wind generation projects in Yeonggwang yaksu, Gyeongju, Gangdong, Yeongyang 2, Jeje Gimnyeong, Daegiri and Honam.
- Advice to a company on its acquisition of Gangwon Wind Power and Yeongdeok Wind Power.
- Advice to a company on its project financing for photovoltaic power generation projects in Dongnam, Bungeoseom island of Chuncheon, Goheungman and Achim.
- Advice to a company on its LNG combined cycle power generation project in Shin Pyeongtaek and the combined heat and power generation project in Hanam and Misa.
- Advice to SK E&S on its sale of Pyeongtaek Energy Service (Oseong natural gas power station), Gimcheon Energy Service (Gimcheon combined heat & power plant) and Jeonbuk Integrated Energy (Jeonbuk combined heat & power plant).
- Advice to Korea Trade Insurance Corporation on its ECA financing related to Bahrain LNG (Import Terminal) project.
- Advice to National Pension Service on its investment to the expansion project of the Freeport LNG liquefaction terminal train 3 in Texas, the U.S.
- Advice to a company on Fiji’s bio mass combined heat & power generation project.
- Advice to National Pension Service on its investment to Cheniere’s new construction project of LNG Export Terminal (liquefaction terminal) in Corpus Christi of Texas, the U.S.
- Advice to National Pension Service on its investment to the fund acquiring Acciona’s affiliate which owns about 55 power plants.
- Advice to Daewoo International and Minera Focus S.A.C on their joint project to explore Aurora copper mines in Peru.
- Advice to Korea Gas Corporation on its investment to the CNG project in Uzbekistan.
Awards and Rankings
Ranked Band 1 Law Firm for Projects and Energy
Chambers Asia 2016-2019
Ranked Tier 1 Law Firm for Projects and Energy
Asia Pacific Legal500 2013-2018
Projects, Energy and Infrastructure Deal of the Year: Canakkale Turkey Bridge and Motorway Project
ALB Korea Law Awards 2018
Ranked Tier 1 Law Firm for Energy and Infrastructure
Global Finance Deal of the Year: Project Finance (Asia): Surgil Project Financing
the American Lawyer Global Legal Awards 2014
Equity Market Deal of the Year: Acquisition of Equity Shares of ArcelorMittal Mining, Canada
ALB Korea Law Awards 2013
Deal of the Year Honorable Mention: Hanwha Chemical’s strategic Equity Investment in Solarfun