The Japan Practice Group at Shin & Kim is composed of about 20 experts, including attorneys, accountants, patent attorneys and translators, who are able to provide seamless legal services in connection with legal issues involving Korea and Japan. The Japan Practice Group at Shin & Kim has effectively responded to the legal needs of clients of all forms and sizes over the last thirty years, from individuals to small and medium sized companies as well as publicly traded companies. The Japan Practice Group has counseled Japanese companies entering the Korean market and engaging in transactions with Korean companies and has also counseled Korean companies investing in or expanding into Japan. The Japan Practice Group has built an unparalleled network over the years through close cooperation and exchange with Japanese experts and law firms from various regions, financial institutions and governmental agencies, which allows the Group to offer unrivaled legal services for its clients in areas involving Korea and Japan.
The Japan Practice Group at Shin & Kim provides the following services:
- Services to Korean and Japanese clients in the following areas: M&A, acquisition financing, securities finance, general corporate matters, fair trade (responses to international cartel investigations), real estate, bankruptcy proceedings (including international bankruptcy), lawsuits, arbitration, intellectual property rights, IT, HR and labor, tax solutions and disputes.
- Services to Japanese clients on all stages of investment and business activity in Korea in addition to services to Korean clients engaged in business transactions in Japan.
- ORIX, in the acquisition of Hyundai Securities and Hyundai Logistics
- Japanese Company N, in an arbitration matter in Korea
- Japanese Companies E and J, in addressing and defending against the Korea Fair Trade Commission’s investigations and claims, including market division and price fixing claims
- Minebea, in responding to an anti-dumping claim regarding lithium batteries
- Japanese companies, in connection with bankruptcies of Korean large corporations and in connection with related lawsuits
- Japanese companies, on intellectual property rights and entertainment law matters and representation of Japanese companies in related lawsuits
- Ethnic Koreans living in Japan, in connection with disputes and lawsuits regarding business management rights and inheritance rights
- IGIS Asset Management, in the mezzanine financing and investment in the Shiba Park building in Tokyo, Japan
- KT AMC, in the purchase of Yamada Denki (electronics seller) in Nara city, Nara province, Japan
- CJ E&M, in the acquisition of publication rights from a Japanese game company
- Daesung Hi-Tech, in acquiring a top manufacturer of precision machines in Japan
- Hanwha Q Cells Korea, in connection with a photovoltaic power generation project in Southwest Japan
- Shinhan Bank, in connection with project financing in a photovoltaic power generation project in Fukaya, Japan