Ms. So-Youn Kim is a partner at Shin & Kim and her main areas of practice include the provision of advice, and representation in litigation, in cases relating to financial regulation, insurance and bankruptcy.
In particular, Ms. Kim provided advice on the rehabilitation procedures of Ssangyong Motor Company and carried out works on criminal litigation on cases relating to bankruptcy, breach of trust, embezzlement, etc. of officers of companies. Ms. Kim also secured the first precedent in which a request for insurance claims was granted in connection with Directors & Officers Liability Insurance and successfully resolved multiple insurance-related disputes on behalf of insurance companies. Ms. Kim is currently a member of the insurance team and bankruptcy team of the financial regulation group of Shin & Kim LLC, providing financial institutions, including banks and insurance companies, with finance-related advice on how to respond to inspections and disputes.
Ms. Kim graduated from Seoul National University (College of Law) and acquired her LL.M from University of Southern California School of Law. Ms. Kim completed the 37th course of the Judicial Research & Training Institute.
Areas of Expertise
- 2022-PresentDirector, Insolvency Law Institute of Korea
- 2008-PresentShin & Kim LLC
- 2007Traning in the law of International Business Transactions In George Washington University Law School
- 2006-2008Judicial Research & Training Institute, Supreme Court of Korea
- 2005U.S. and Comparative Patent Law November Seminar 2005 In PRIP Tokyo
- 2014-2015University of Southern California School of Law (LL.M.)
- 2001-2006Seoul National University, College of Law (LL.B., 2006)
- Korean Bar Association
Korean, English, Japanese
- 100 Insolvency-Related Precedents (co-authored, Parkyoungsa, 2021)
- Analysis on the rehabilitation process of the golf clubs in 2010’s, Korean Lawyers Association Journal, December 2018 (co-authored)
- "Leading Lawyer" for Restructuring and insolvency, IFLR1000, 2023