Mr. Hee-Chan Byun is a partner at Shin & Kim. Mr. Byun’s main areas of practice include the areas of taxation, administrative litigation, and environment litigation in relation to environmental violations.
Mr. Byun began his legal career as a Judge of Seoul Central District Court Uijeongbu Branch in March of 1987. Throughout Mr. Byun’s career as a Judge, he served as a Judge in various districts (i.e., Seoul, Tongyoung, Changwon, etc.), a Research Judge in the Supreme Court of Korea, as well as a professor of the Judicial Research &Training Institute. Mr. Byun finished his twenty year service as a Judge in Seoul Central District Court on February, 2008.
While Mr. Byun was a Research Judge, he was part of the Taxation Department and mainly involved in tax litigation. During his time with the Judicial Research & Training Institute, Mr. Byun was professor of tax law and taught, among others, the Introduction to Tax Law for three years. At that time, Mr. Byun was appointed by Taxation Business Society to give lectures on tax litigation courses for pre- licensed tax accountants, and was also the main coordinator for the tax law portion of the National Judicial Examination. In addition, Mr. Byun was the chair of the Criminal Trial Practice at the Judicial Research & Training Institute. Mr. Byun was in charge of examining Criminal Law and Criminal Procedure Law, which are the subjects of the National Judicial Examination.
While serving in Seoul Central District Court, Mr. Byun was the Presiding Judge of the Environment Trial Division and participated in many environmental violation litigations relating to noise, fishing rights, sunshine disturbance, etc.
- 1998-1999Stanford Law School, U.S.A. (Visiting Scholar)
- 1978-1982Seoul National University, College of Law (LL.B., 1982)
- 2019-PresentMember, Government Ethics Committee
- 2018-PresentMember, Pension Committee for Public Servants’ Disasters, Ministry of Personnel Management
- 2012-2015Legal Counsel, Jung-gu, Seoul, Korea
- 2011-2013Legal Counsel, National Tax Service of Korea
- 2010-2012Legal Counsel, Ministry of Public Administration and Security
- 2008-PresentShin & Kim
- 2007-2008Presiding Judge, Seoul Central District Court
- 2004-2007Professor, Judicial Research & Training Institute
- 2002-2004Presiding Judge, Changwon District Court
- 2000-2002Research Judge, Supreme Court of Korea
- 1999-2000Judge, Seoul High Court
- 1998-1999Judge, Seoul District Court Uijeongbu Department
- 1997-1998Judge, Seoul Family Court
- 1995-1997Judge, Seoul District Court
- 1993-1995Judge, Seoul Southern District Court
- 1991-1993Judge, Changwon District Court Chungmu Department
- 1989-1991Judge, Seoul Criminal Court
- 1987-1989Judge, Seoul District Court Uijeongbu Department
- 1985-1987Judicial Research & Training Institute, the Supreme Court of Korea
- Korean Bar Association
- Given that the farmer pays construction payment, which is a government subsidy by Cheorwon-gun, to the constructor who has done farmland repair work caused by flood damage, shall above construction payment be exempt from Value Added Tax standard of assessment as government subsidy. (Supreme Court of Korea Precedent Commentary Vol. 39, 2001 last half year)
- Relating to life insurance service, shall investigation service which is provided by one who is mainly involved in the business of insurance contract and insurance accident investigation service be exempt from Value Added Tax. (Supreme Court of Korea Precedent Commentary Vol. 35, 2001.6.)
- Golf Membership Card and Non-Profit Asset (Supreme Court of Korea Precedent Commentary Vol. 35, 2001.6.)
- Seoul Metropolitan Area Readjustment Planning Act Article 6
- An Executor (Justice Data, Law of Succession Vol. 78, 1998)
- "Recommended Lawyer” for Tax, Legal500, 2018-2019
- "Leading Lawyer" for Tax, Legal Times, 2017, 2019