Myong-Hyon (Brandon) Ryu’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions with a particular emphasis on cross-border (both inbound and outbound) transactions. He also has extensive experience in private equity transactions, joint ventures, corporate restructurings, and corporate governance. Mr. Ryu has represented both major Korean and foreign industrial and financial companies as well as private equity firms.
Mr. Ryu devotes a portion of his practice to advising clients in anti-corruption (including anti-corruption due diligence in M&A transactions), FCPA/internal investigations, transnational white collar crime defenses and other compliance matters.
Mr. Ryu has been distinguished as one of the leading corporate/M&A lawyers by Chambers Global, Chambers Asia-Pacific, Legal 500, IFLR 1000, Asialaw Profiles, Legal Times and PLC’s Which Lawyer? He was commended in the Legal 500 (Asia Pacific) for “always trying to find the right solutions and exceed client’s expectations in all respects.” He is also described by Chambers Asia-Pacific as “a very bright and pragmatic team leader who is involved in many of the firm’s most prominent recent deals” and someone who “understands the corporate world very well and tries to make things as straightforward as possible.” He is a regular contributor to various international journals as well as a speaker at international and domestic conferences covering the areas of his expertise. He has been interviewed and quoted by newspapers and magazines for his knowledge and expertise in mergers and acquisitions.
Mr. Ryu has worked on many of the most high-profile M&A transactions in recent years including representation of Affinity Private Equity and KKR in their proposed acquisition of Homeplus from Tesco Plc.
He recently represented CJ CheilJedang Corporation, Korea’s No. 1 food company, on its acquisition of Schwan’s Company, a U.S.-based frozen food company.
He also recently represented SJL Partners, KCC and Wonik consortium in their acquisition of Momentive, US based global silicone and quartz producer, the 3rd largest out-bound M&A in Korean history with the deal value of USD 3 billion.
He represented Mirae Asset Private Equity, the largest private equity in Korea, in its acquisition (together with Blackstone and Fila Korea) of Acushnet Company, one of the largest golf equipment companies in the world. The transaction was named “Consumer M&A Deal of the Year” by M&A Advisor, “Korea Deal of the Year” by FinanceAsia, and “Deal of the Year” by Asian Counsel.
Mr. Ryu also represented Hanwha Chemical in all stages of its strategic equity investment in Solarfun Power Holdings (renamed Solarone Power Holdings), a NASDAQ-listed vertically integrated PRC manufacturer of silicon ingots, wafers and photovoltaic cells and modules, as well as a share purchase from two major shareholders, Good Energies and Yonghua Solar Power Investment Holdings. This deal was the first instance of a Korean company acquiring a NASDAQ-listed energy company. This transaction was awarded “Deal of the Year (Honorable Mention)” by Asian Counsel and nominated for “M&A Deal of the Year” by IFLR Asian Awards .
Mr. Ryu advised Lotte Shopping in its acquisition and privatization of Times, Ltd. a Cayman Islands company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange. This transaction was nominated for “M&A Deal of the Year” by both ALB Hong Kong Awards and IFLR Asian Awards and awarded 2010 “China Deal of the Year” by China Business Law Journal.
Mr. Ryu received a J.D. from Vanderbilt University Law School in 2001 and a B.A., magna cum laude, from Sogang University in 1998. He is a member of the Bar in New York.
Mr. Ryu has co-authored articles for international publications including the International Financial Law Review and Asian Counsel. He also lectured at the Judicial Research & Training Institute, Sungkyunkwan University and Konkuk University.
He is fluent in English and Korean.
- 2007Advanced Law Program of Seoul National University, College of Law
- 2001Vanderbilt University Law School (J.D., 2001)
- 1998Sogang University (B.A. in Political Science, 1998), magna cum laude
- 1996-1997Saint Louis University (Exchange Student, Academic Year)
- 2008-PresentShin & Kim LLC
- 2004-2008Foreign Legal Consultant, Yulchon
- 2001-2004Foreign Legal Consultant, Yoon & Yang
- 2000Summer Associate, Winstead, Dallas TX
- 1999Summer Associate, Yoon & Partners
- 2002New York
- New York State Bar Association
- The Private Equity Review (8th edition) Part II, Investing - "Korea" chapter, Law Business Research, 2019 (Co-authored)
- “Share Transfer Restrictions under Shareholders Agreement”, BFL Series Vol. 88, March 2018 (Co-authored)
- “Shareholders Agreement”, BFL 13, May 2017 (Co-authored)
- Avoiding bae-im, The Lawyer, September 2014 (Co-authored)
- Issues Relating to Shareholders Agreement – Mainly From a Drafting Point of View, BFL Vol. 67, September 2014 (Co-authored)
- “Make Sure Not to Commit Bae-im”, AMCHAM Journal, 2014 Q3, Vol. 81 No.3 (Co-authored)
- Things to Consider in Outbound M&A, Korea Core Industrial Technology Investment Association (KITIA) M&A Newsletter, February 2014 (Co-authored)
- Putting the squeeze on shareholders, Asialaw Korea Annual Review, 2013
- Recent Crackdown on Medical Rebates in Korea, IBA Criminal Law Section News, March 2013 (Co-authored)
- Anti-Bribery Laws in Korea and Their Distinct Characteristics, ABA Criminal Justice, Insights from the Trench, December 2012 (Co-authored)
- Putting on the squeeze, IFLR, November 2012 (Co-authored)
- Squeeze-out of Minority Shareholders under the Amended Korean Commercial Code, Invest Korea Bulletin, September 2012 (Co-authored)
- Recent Amendments to the Korean Commercial Code, Infomag, EUCCK, No. 125, October 2011 (Co-authored)
- South Korea Special Report – A new frontier?, Asian-Counsel Volume 8 Issue 8 2010 (Co-authored)
- Panelist, “Current Legal Developments 2019” in M&A, IBA Annual Conference in Seoul (September 2019)
- Moderator, “M&A and Anti-Corruption Due Diligence Including Third Party Risks”, IBA Asia Pacific Regional Forum on Anti-Corruption Compliance and Enforcement in Seoul (November 2016)
- Panelist, “Public Takeover Regulation and Practice”, IPBA Cross-Border Investment Committee, IPBA Annual Conference in Kuala Lumpur (April 2016)
- Panelist, “Structuring M&A and Disclosure Schedule”, IBA Young Lawyers Training Committee, IBA Young Lawyers Training Program (July 2015)
- Moderator, “Corruption Risks Relating to Overseas Investment and Business” Seminar (joint seminar with Ropes & Gray) (May 2015)
- Panelist, “Recent Trends in FCPA and Anti-Corruption Compliance in M&A and Internal Investigation”, IPBA Cross-Border Investment Committee, IPBA Annual Conference in Vancouver (May 2014)
- Panelist, “Things to Consider in Outbound M&As”, Korea Core Industrial Technology Investment Association (KITIA), KITIA Global M&A Conference (December 2013)
- Panelist, “Inbound-Outbound Private Equity Activities in Korea”, IAKL Annual Conference in Seoul (September 2013)
- Speaker, “Investments by Korean Companies in India” (joint seminar with Federation of Korean Industries and Luthra & Luthra) (November 2012)
- Speaker, “Recent Trends in FCPA and Anti-Corruption Regulation”, Inhouse Congress in Seoul (August 2012)
- Speaker, “Outbound M&A”, Inhouse Congress in Seoul (August 2011)
- Speaker, “Practical Issues in Drafting Agreements”, Inhouse Counsel Forum, IHCF Academy for Inhouse Counsels (April 2011)
- "Leading Individual" for Corporate/M&A, Chambers Global/Chambers Asia, 2011-2019
- "Recommended Lawyer” for Corporate and M&A, Legal500, 2014, 2017-2019
- “Leading Lawyer” for M&A, IFLR1000, 2019
- “Korea’s Top 100 Lawyers”, Asia Business Law Journal, 2019
- "Leading Lawyer" for Corporate/M&A, Asialaw Profiles, 2018, 2019
- "Leading Lawyer" for Corporate and M&A, Legal Times, 2019
Deals & Cases