Mr. Young-Key Hwang worked as a financial expert in the International Finance Team of Chairman’s Office of Samsung Group. But due to the need for more expertise, Mr. Hwang left the company and studied Financial Management at London School of Economics in Great Britain, and then worked at Seoul Branch and Tokyo Branch of Bankers Trust, accumulating experience in international finance.
After his return to the Samsung Group in 1989, Mr. Hwang took a series of positions including head of the International Finance Team and head of the Personnel Team at the Secretarial Office for Chairman of Samsung Group, head of the Finance Team at Samsung Electronics, head of the Asset Management Division at Samsung Life Insurance, CEO of Samsung Investment Trust Management, and CEO of Samsung Securities, before leaving the Samsung Group in March of 2004 when he was appointed as chairman of Woori Financial Group and CEO of Woori Bank. In these positions at Woori Financial Group, he led rapid progress, including acquisition of LG Securities. In 2008, he established and served as the first chairman of KB Financial Group. From 2010 to July of 2012, he, serving as Vice-Chairman of Cha Hospital Group, took overall charge of management in the areas of pharmaceuticals and cell therapy products, operation of Cha Hospitals at Gangnam and Bundang, and venture business. After serving as standing Senior Advisor at Shin & Kim from July of 2012, he served as and successfully completed the term of office as the Chairman of the Korea Financial Investment Association.
- 1981London School of Economics (M. Sc. in Accounting & Finance)
- 1975Seoul National University (B.A. in International Economics)
- 2018-PresentSenior Advisor, Shin & Kim LLC
- 2018-PresentNon-standing Advisor, TCK Investment Advice
- 2020-2021Chairman, Korea-America Association(KAA)
- 2018-2020Sogang University Foundation Director
- 2018-2019Standing Advisor, Korea Financial Investment Association
- 2015-2018Chairman, Korea Financial Investment Association
- 2013-2016Non-executive Director, Korea Student Aid Foundation(KOSAF)
- 2013-2014Public Director, Korea Financial Investment Association
- 2012-2015Outside Director, Daekyo Co., Ltd
- 2012-2015Senior Advisor, Shin & Kim LLC
- 2010-2012Chairman & CEO, Cha Hospital Group
- 2008-2009Chairman & CEO, KB Financial Group
- 2007-2008Visiting Professor, Seoul National University, Graduate School of Business
- 2007-2008Senior Advisor, Shin & Kim LLC
- 2006-2009Director, School Development Fund, The Korean National University of Arts
- 2004-2007Chairman & CEO, Woori Financial Group & Woori Bank
- 2001-2004President & CEO, Samsung Securities Co., Ltd.
- 2000-2004Member, Securities Division, Finance Development Commission
- 1999President & CEO, Samsung Investment Trust Management Co., Ltd.
- 1998-2000Member, Subcommittee on International Finance, Financial Development Review Committee
- 1997-2003Non-standing Director, KorAm Bank
- 1997-1999Senior Managing Director, Chief of Staff of Strategic Planning Office and Head of Asset Management Division, Samsung Life Insurance Co., Ltd.
- 1994Corporate Treasurer, Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
- 1993-1994Head of Personnel Department, Samsung Group
- 1989-1990Head of International Finance Team, Samsung Group
- 1986-1989Vice President, Bankers Trust International, Tokyo Branch
- 1982-1986Bankers Trust, Seoul Branch
- 1975-1980Samsung Corporation
Korean, English, Japanese
- “Common Sense on Mutual Funds,” translated (2003) (written by John C.Bogle)
Awards and Recognitions
- 2018Dasan Finance Contribution Award (Individual Award), organized by the Financial Services Commission and Korea Economic Daily
- 2006Dasan Finance Grand Award (Ministerial Award of Finance and Economy)
- 2005Industry Silver Medal of 10th Award of Financial Support to Small and Medium Business, The Republic of Koreas