Mr. Chang-Won Jeong is a partner of Shin & Kim. Mr. Jeong specializes in litigation and advice for intellectual property, trade secret, IT (Information Technology), and technologies.
Before being admitted to the Korean bar, Mr. Jeong was a qualified patent attorney with a wide range of experiences with large corporations such as Samsung, LG, and Hyundai Mobis in domestic and overseas patent applications and registrations.
Working as an attorney with Shin & Kim, Mr. Jeong has been occupying a unique position as an Intellectual Property attorney with specialties in the pharmaceutical industry. He stood at the forefront of major pharmaceutical patent litigations related to various kinds of medicine, including Docetaxel, a general anti-cancer drug, Sodium Meta-arsenite, a potential arsenic anti-cancer material, Adefovir Dipivoxil, an anti-virus drug, Candesartan Cilexetil, a drug for high blood pressure, Sildenafil(Viagra), a drug for erectile dysfunction, and Human Papilloma Virus(HPV) vaccines. Also, He worked as a legal advisor for the amendment of the Pharmaceutical Affairs Act triggered by the introduction of the approval-patent linkage system following the Korea-U.S. FTA, and he is successfully handling a dispute over damages from the cut of the price cap for Olanzapine.
Furthermore, based on his ability to understand technological complexities acquired through his career as a patent attorney, Mr. Jeong has performed his roles successfully as the main attorney for major domestic and overseas patent disputes including those over the platform screen door system, database encryption algorithm, and LCD technologies between Samsung Display and LG Display, and PHPS solution which forms insulator between semi-conductor patterns.
His career is not restricted to patent related litigations. He has worked on major domestic cases of trade secret disputes including those involving OLED, hard metal powder metallurgy technology, lactic acid bacteria double-coating technology, and etc., strengthening his presence as an expert in trade secret infringements. In addition, his demonstration of excellent abilities in handling deep technology litigations such as that among LG CNS, BC Card and IBM over a card system contract, and those over automobile components, Molybdenum leaching facilities and etc. makes him Shin & Kim’s leading Intellectual Property, trade secret and high-technology related litigations expert.
- 2015-2016University of Virginia School of Law (LL.M.)
- 1994-2000Seoul National University, School of Naval Architecture & Ocean Engineering(B.S., 2000)
- 2016Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow Garrett & Dunner, LLP, Washington, D.C., USA
- 2010-PresentShin & Kim LLC
- 2008-2010Judicial Research & Training Institute, Supreme Court of Korea
- 2007-2008Patent Attorney, PAX Patent & Law firm
- 2004-2007Patent Attorney, YP.Lee, Mock, and Partners
- 2000-2003Military Police Officer, Republic of Korea Navy
- 2001Korea (Patent)
- Korean Bar Association
- Comparative Legal Review on Novelty and Non-obviousness as to the Numerical Limitation Invention Optimizing Publicly-known- technology (UVA LL.M. Thesis, 2016)
- "Leading Lawyer" for Intellectual Property, Legal Times, 2019