Having joined the firm in 2000, Sang-Hyun Lee has advised clients in various types of banking & finance transactions. He is highly experienced in energy, renewable energy, waste-to-energy, natural resources, rail, roads, bridges, tunnels, ports, power generation and other infrastructure projects and has particular expertise in the preparation and negotiation of project financing documents for such projects.
Sang-Hyun is well reputed in providing proactive advice to the clients based on his insight, expertise and experience on all aspects of the projects across different sectors. Sang-Hyun is dedicated in providing the most reliable advice to the clients and his practice is motivated and focused on the clients’ needs. Sang-Hyun’s in-depth understanding of the clients’ needs enables himself and his team to assist clients in maximizing profits, mitigating risks, efficiently managing details, and resolving disputes among the financiers, sponsors, contracting parties and government authorities.
Sang-Hyun, one of the leading partners in his team, brings together the best professionals across the practice areas in the firm to deliver comprehensive and fully-integrated services in the field of project finance.
Sang-Hyun’s representative work experience includes:
- Domestic and overseas energy and power projects, PPP or PFI type of infrastructure projects, oil & gas, LNG and natural resources projects.
- Project financing for the construction and operation of the energy and natural resources projects, power generation facilities, chemical plants, roads, bridges, tunnels, rails, ports and other infrastructure.
- Renewables including wind farm, solar, fuel cell, bio and ESS.
- Waste-to-energy projects.
- Entire LNG value chain, ranging from upstream and downstream gas, liquefaction, transportation, export and import, regasification, midstream, and LNG power plant.
- Financing (untied/tied/covered/direct) involving export credit agencies (ECAs) such as Export-Import Bank of Korea (K-Exim) and Korea Trade Insurance Corporation (K-sure)
- Formation of the funds and other investment vehicles to invest in overseas infrastructure and energy projects and the investment by pensions or other financial institutions into such funds.
- Representing KOGAS, KNOC, KEPCO and its subsidiaries, independent power companies and other project companies in connection with their regular needs for legal advice.
- 2004-2005Columbia Law School (LL.M.)
- 1993-1998Seoul National University, College of Law (LL.B.)
- 2011-PresentMember, Investment Review Committee of the Korean Teachers Credit Union (2011-2016, 2018-Present)
- 2005-2006International Lawyer, White & Case LLP, New York
- 2000-PresentShin & Kim LLC
- 1998-2000Judicial Research & Training Institute, Supreme Court of Korea
- 2006New York
- Korean Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- International Bar Association
- Korea Chapter in Getting the Deal Through – Project Finance 2022, Law Business Research 2021 (co-authored)
- Korea Chapter in Getting the Deal Through – Project Finance 2021, Law Business Research 2020 (co-authored)
- Korea Chapter in Chambers Alternative Energy & Power 2020 Guide, Chambers & Partners, 2020 (co-authored)
- Korea Chapter in Getting the Deal Through – Project Finance 2019, Law Business Research 2018 (co-authored)
- Korea Chapter in The Projects and Construction Review, Second Edition, Law Business Research, 2012 (co-authored)
- Financing for Corporate Takeovers (Korea Capital Market Institute, presentation at M&A Research Society Seminar, 2010)
- Negative Pledge Clause (BFL Vol. 35, 2009)
- Leveraged Buy-outs (BFL Vol.24, 2007)
- Lecture on Financing for M&A at the Seminar for Professionals, Seoul National University, College of Law (2005)
- "Leading Individual" for Banking and Finance, Chambers Global/Chambers Asia, 2012-2023
- "Leading Individual" for Projects and Energy, Chambers Asia, 2016-2023
- "Leading Lawyer” for Banking and Finance, IFLR1000, 2014-2023
- “Leading Lawyer” for Project Development, IFLR1000, 2017-2023
- "Leading Lawyer" for Energy, Infrastructure, Asialaw Profiles, 2019-2023
- "Recommended Lawyer” for Projects and Energy, Legal500, 2014-2018 / "Leading Individual” for Projects and Energy, Legal500, 2019-2022
- "Leading Lawyer" for Securities and Finance, Legal Times, 2017, 2019, 2021-2022
- "Recommended Lawyer” for Banking and Finance, Legal500, 2014, 2016-2019
- "Recommended Lawyer” for Corporate and M&A, Legal500, 2018
- Projects, Energy and Infrastructure Deal of the Year - Canakkale Turkey Bridge and Motorway Project, ALB Korea Law Awards 2018
Deals & Cases