Mr. Byung Chang Lee is a partner of Shin & Kim. Mr. Lee's main areas of practice include (1) securities, derivatives, forward related regulations and litigations, (2) Cross-border & International Litigation, Enforcement, (3) Asset Tracing in relation to white-collar crimes, (4) Professional Responsibility, (5) Aviation & Aero-Space Law, (6) Law & Economics.
He has practiced for 1) various types of legal advice and administrative litigations related to sanctions issued on distressed savings banks on behalf of the (former) Financial Supervisory Commission, 2) providing legal advice and representing litigations on asset tracing related to white-collar crimes, on behalf of Emirates, a world class airline of UAE, and England’s Lloyd’s Register, established in the 1760s, based on his expertise in both in-bound works for foreign corporate clients and out-bound works for Korean corporate clients involved in foreign litigations.
Mr. Lee worked as a Foreign Legal Consultant at Steptoe & Johnson LLP, Century City Office, a firm renowned for its expertise in the areas of regulatory work, cross-border litigation that was established by Louise Johnson, who served as Secretary of Defense during the Truman administration.
- 2008Cornell Law School (LL.M.)
- 1997Seoul National University, College of Social Science (B.A.)
- 2020-PresentLegal Advisor for Gyeongsangbuk-do Government
- 2020-PresentLegal Advisor for Ministry of Health and Welfare
- 2020-PresentSenior Researcher, Legislation Research Institute at Korean Bar Association
- 2017.6-PresentArbitrator, Korean Commercial Arbitration Board
- 2017.4-PresentLegal Advisor for Seoul Metropolitan Government
- 2016-PresentIndependent Director and Head of Audit Committee of Golfzon
- 2016-PresentIndependent Director and Audit Committee Member of Golfzon
- 2016-2020Research Member, Legislation Research Institute at Korean Bar Association
- 2012Liquidator, Makita Korea
- 2008-2009Foreign Legal Consultant, Steptoe & Johnson LLP, U.S.A.
- 2002-PresentShin & Kim LLC
- 2000-2002Judicial Research & Training Institute, the Supreme Court of Korea
- 1999-2000Researcher, Kolico Associates
- Korean Bar Association
Major Academic Presentations
- Speaker, “Dos and DON’Ts of Litigation in Offshore Jurisdictions”, C5 Fraud, Asset Tracing and Recovery, Hong Kong, June 2018
- Speaker, “Summary of Asset Tracing Issue in Korea”, IAKL Conference Criminal Law Session, September 2017
- Research on the Legal Fees of the U.S. (KBA Legislation Research Institute, 2018)
- Research on the Cooperative System between Lawyers and Non-Lawyers (KBA Legislation Research Institute, 2018) (Co-authored)
- Research on the Internal Audit Function (KBA Legislation Research Institute, 2018) (Co-authored)
- Research on Anti-Money Laundering, KBA Legislation Research Institute, 2017 (Co-authored)
- Judges and Prosecutors Practicing Law in the U.S., U.K., Germany and Japan (KBA Legislation Research Institute, 2016) (Co-authored)
- Appointment and Election of Judges and Prosecutors in the U.S., U.K., Germany and Japan (KBA Legislation Research Institute, 2016) (Co-authored)
- A Shift in the Korean Banking and Finance Market (Inside the Minds Series, 2011)
- Issues in KIKO Case and Relevant Recent Precedents (Legal Times, July 2009)
- Possible Application of the Reliance Theory of Auditor’s Liability to 3rd Party in the United States into Korean Cases, Supervised Writing Reviewed by Prof. Bradley Wendel (Cornell Law School, 2008)