Mr. Kyle J. Choi is a senior foreign attorney at Shin & Kim who primarily concentrates on international litigation with specialty in intellectual property.
Mr. Choi has advised and represented various U.S. and Korean companies, both big and small, with respect to intellectual property disputes filed before the U.S. district courts, U.S. International Trade Commission, and the U.S. Patent Trials and Appeals Board. Mr. Choi is also registered to practice before the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office and has over 10 years of experience as a patent examiner examining patent applications across mechanical, electrical, telecommunications, and computer technologies, including business method inventions. Mr. Choi has also spent over 5 years in-house as head of the standard essential patent team at a global electronics company.
In addition to IP disputes, Mr. Choi also heads Shin & Kim’s International Litigation Practice Group and assists domestic companies involved in civil litigation in the U.S. and abroad by coordinating with corresponding local firms for effective and efficient representation in the local courts.
Mr. Choi is a graduate of the University of Virginia with a degree in electrical engineering, and received his J.D. (magna cum laude) from the Catholic University, Columbus School of Law in Washington D.C. Mr. Choi is currently ranked as a Silver-tier individual for litigation in the IAM Patent 1000.
- 2003Catholic University, Columbus School of Law (J.D.)
- 1992University of Virginia (B.S., Electrical Engineering)
- 2019-PresentShin & Kim LLC
- 2018-2019Associate, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LLP, Washington D.C.
- 2015-2018Of Counsel, Baker McKenzie, LLP, Washington D.C.
- 2013-2015Special Counsel, Baker McKenzie, LLP, Seoul, Korea
- 2013Legal Manager, Baker McKenzie, LLP, Hong Kong
- 2008-2013Senior Counsel, Samsung Electronics, Co. Ltd., Suwon, Korea
- 2005-2008Associate, Morgan Lewis, Washington D.C.
- 1999-2005Quality Assurance Specialist/Primary Patent Examiner, U.S Patent & Trademark Office, Alexandria, VA
- 1997-1999Patent Agent, Fishman Stewart, LLC, Bloomfield Hills, MI/Washington D.C.
- 1992-1997Patent Examiner, U.S Patent & Trademark Office, Arlington, VA
- 2020Korean FLC Bar
- 2013Korean FLC Bar
- 2004District of Columbia Bar
- 1997U.S. Patent & Trademark Office Bar
- Assisted a Korean social network service company in a putative class action lawsuit over data privacy in California, USA.
- Assisted a Korean construction company in a lawsuit to recover damages in Taiwan.
- Assisted a Korean financial institution in a bankruptcy proceeding in New York, USA.
- Assisted a Korean movie theatre in pursuing 1782 discovery proceeding in New York, USA.
- Assisted a Korean consumer product company in a trademark dispute in Pakistan.
- Assisted a Hong Kong company in opposing liquidation proceedings initiated by a Korean fund.
- Assisted a global electronics company in a trade secrets dispute initiated at the International Trade Commission in the USA.
- Assisted a Korean pipe fitting manufacturer in a patent infringement suit brought in Texas, USA.
- Assisted joint defense of seven (7) Korean media companies in a copyright infringement suit brought in California, USA.
- Assisted a Korean cosmetics company in defending against a Proposition 65 Action in California, USA.
- Speaker: Introduction to U.S. IP Infringement Litigation, 4th Annual Primary Examiner Advancement Training Course, National Intellectual Property Training Institute (IIPTI) at the Korean Intellectual Property Office, July 7, 2022, Daejeon, Korea
- Speaker: Comparative Study of Domain Name Infringement in Korea & U.S., 2021 IDRC – ADNDRC International Conference on Domain Name Dispute Resolution, September 29, 2021, Seoul, Korea
- Speaker: Protection of Intellectual Property Rights in Korea, 2020 Korea-Canada Trade Missions (Canadian Embassy of Korea), November 6, 2020, Seoul, Korea
- Speaker: International Patent Litigation Procedure (United States), Shin & Kim 2019 IP Academy (7th Session), December 13, 2019, Seoul, Korea
- Speaker: 4 Years of IPR, Where is it Now, Where is it Going, Korea Electronics Association (Korea Electronics Association – International Patent Assistance Center), April 26, 2016, Seoul, Korea
- Collaboration meeting with Intellectual Property Office of Singapore regarding inventor patent assistance program, July 2014
- Panelist: Innovative Idea Protection Forum, Korea Intellectual Property Office & Korea Institute of Intellectual Property, September 2013, Seoul, Korea
- Panelist: The Changing Nature of IP Monetisation, Global IP Valuation Conference, 6 November 2013, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- Panelist: M&A-Buying and Selling IP: How to get the best bargain? Global IP Valuation Conference, 7 November 2013, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia