Ms. Soo Young Song is a partner at Shin & Kim. Ms. Song’s main areas of practice include Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG), laws on financial institutions including the Financial Investment Services and Capital Market Act, ship finance, domestic and cross-border asset backed securitization and other structured finance, sale and purchase of non-performing assets, real estate finance, acquisition finance, cross-border project finance, energy related advisory services, merger and acquisition, and litigations involving inheritance issues and financial institutions.
Ms. Song advised various domestic and overseas financial institutions on loan documents, fund related contracts, and financial institution related laws. Ms. Song also provided advice on licensing, registering and reporting of financial institutions. She has also been involved in various ship financing transactions and overseas project finance transactions involving the Korea Export-Import Bank of Korea and Korea Trade Insurance Corporation. In addition, she also successfully completed a number of domestic and overseas asset securitization and other structured finance transactions on behalf of Citibank Korea and Korea Development Bank.
Based on the working experiences at Samsung Securities research center as an associate analyzing insurance, credit card and brokerage industries for two years since 2003, her knowledge gained for two years since 2016 during the Executive MBA course at Seoul National University and her understating of clients’ business in various fields, Ms. Song provides legal advice for corporate clients in various industries ranging from start-up companies to public enterprises as well as financial sector.
- 2020Konkuk University, Graduate School of Real Estate, Completed CEO Course
- 2016-2018Seoul National University, Graduate School of Business, Master of Business Administration (Executive MBA)
- 2014Seoul National University, College of Law, Completed legal research course on finance and securities law (specialized on Financial Investment Services and Capital Market Act)
- 2005-2008Seoul National University, College of Law (LL.B.)
- 1999-2003Seoul National University, College of Humanities (B.A., French language and literature)
- 1999-2003Seoul National University, College of Business Administration (B.A.)
- 2023-PresentSpecial Advisor, Alternative Investment Committee, National Pension Service
- 2023-PresentExternal member, ESG Management Committee, Korea Venture Investment Corp (KVIC)
- 2023-PresentMember, Ordinary Disciplinary Committee, National Museum of Korea
- 2022-PresentExternal Member, Investment Review Sub-committee, National Federation of Fisheries Cooperatives
- 2022-PresentMember, Workers' Compensation Insurance Fund Risk Management Committee, Ministry of Employment and Labor
- 2022-PresentExternal Member, Alternative Investment Review Committee, National Health Insurance Service
- 2022-PresentMember, ESG Committee, Seoul National University
- 2022-PresentESG Committee Chairman and Outside Director, Woori Financial Group
- 2022-PresentAdvisory Member, Korea Sustainability Standards Board, Korea Accounting Institute
- 2022-PresentMember, Statutory Auditor Appointment Committee, Sanofi-Aventis Korea Co., Ltd.
- 2021-PresentMember, Steering Committee for ESG Support Project for Suppliers, Korea Commission for Corporate Partnership
- 2019-PresentAdvisory Counsel, Center for Creative Economy and Innovation
- 2019-PresentMember, Statutory Auditor Appointment Committee, Pfizer Korea Upjohn Co., Ltd.
- 2019-PresentMember, Statutory Auditor Appointment Committee, Pfizer Korea Co., Ltd.
- 2010-PresentShin & Kim LLC
- 2008-2010Judicial Research & Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Korea
- 2003-2004Associate, Samsung Securities
- Korean Bar Association
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants 
Korean, English, French
- ESG in APAC: Jurisdictional Overview On ESG Reporting, Transition Planning And Greenwashing (South Korea chapter), Slaughter and May (September 2023) (co-authored)
- Korea Chapter in Impact Investing and Social Enterprises: Global Progress and Challenges, American Bar Association (2022)
- A closer look at investment due diligence in South Korea and the K-Taxonomy, IFLR ESG Asia Report (2022)
- “Best Lawyer” for ESG, Lawtimes, 2022
- "Leading Lawyer" for Securities and Finance, Legal Times, 2021-2022