Mr. Derek Dongryul Lee is a partner at Shin & Kim. Mr. Lee's main areas of practice include antitrust/competition law, international dispute resolution, mergers & acquisitions, broadcasting, telecommunication, franchising law and general corporate transactions.
Specifically for antitrust/competition law practice, Mr. Lee has extensive experience in establishing defense strategies against government investigations and effectively communicating with relevant agencies through briefs and representation at various hearings. In doing so, Mr. Lee has handled all aspects of antitrust/competition law, including abuse of market dominance, merger review, cartel, unfair business trade practices, and conglomerate regulation. Most notably, Mr. Lee has attended more than 50 hearings at the Korean Fair Trade Commission as well as the Korean Fair Trade Mediation Agency and successfully represented clients. Mr. Lee is fluent in English and has advised many multinational corporations such as Qualcomm, British Airways, and British American Tobacco on various antitrust/competition law issues.
Mr. Lee also has broad experience in international dispute resolution and has handled International Chamber of Commerce arbitration cases. While working as international associate at Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan’s LA office, Mr. Lee was actively involved in numerous high-profile cases, such as Samsung-Apple IP infringement case. In doing so, Mr. Lee experienced broad aspects of US litigation practices, including E-Discovery, deposition, federal motions, and jury trial.
In addition, Mr. Lee has wide range of experience in M&A, telecommunication and broadcasting, and general corporate practices.
- 2012-2013UCLA School of Law (Visiting Jurist)
- 2011-2012Georgetown University Law Center (LL.M., 2012)
- 2009Seoul National University, College of Law, Legal Research Course on Advancement of Competition Law
- 2003Columbia University Law School, Course of International Trade Law
- 1996-2001Seoul National University, College of Law (LL.B., 2001)
- 2007-PresentShin & Kim
- 2012-2013International Associate, Quinn Emanuel Urquhart & Sullivan, LA Office
- 2004-2007Judge Advocate, Republic of Korea Army
- 2002-2004Judicial Research & Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Korea
- 2014New York
- Korean Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- “Global Competition” translated (2014) (Written by David J. Gerber)
- "Leading Lawyer" for Antitrust and Competition, Legal Times, 2019
- "Leading Lawyer" for International Arbitration, Legal Times, 2017
- Abuse of Market Dominance
- Merger Filings
- Unfair Trade Practice
- Excessive Concentration of Economic Power
- Subcontracting & Franchising
- Door-to-Door Sales (Multi-Level Marketing)
- Labeling & Advertising · Terms & Conditions
- Competition Compliance Programs
- Antitrust Disputes
- International Arbitration
- Investor-State Dispute Settlement (ISDS)