Arie Eernisse is a foreign attorney in the International Dispute Resolution Practice Group at Shin & Kim.
Arie has advocated on behalf of a diverse array of Korean and foreign clients in arbitration matters governed by the rules of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), Korean Commercial Arbitration Board (KCAB), Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) and other institutions, as well as ad hoc arbitration matters governed by the UNCITRAL rules.
Arie has been involved in commercial and investment arbitration disputes about mergers and acquisitions, sale of goods, resource exploration, construction, oil and gas, distribution agreements, financial investments, real estate, maritime, intellectual property, military and defense procurement, tortious conduct and more.
Arie is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb) and an active member of the Arbitration Committee of the International Bar Association (IBA) and the International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA). He is also an Assistant Editor (East and Central Asia) of the Kluwer Arbitration Blog.
Prior to joining Shin & Kim, Arie served as a law clerk to a federal judge at the U.S. Court of International Trade in New York City. At Duke University School of Law, Arie was a staff editor of the Duke Journal of Comparative & International Law.
- 2012Duke University, School of Law (J.D./LL.M. in International & Comparative Law)
- 2007Wesleyan University (B.A., with honors and phi beta kappa, in East Asian Studies)
- 2019-PresentAssistant Editor (East and Central Asia), Kluwer Arbitration Blog
- 2018-PresentSpecialist Mediator of Singapore International Mediation Centre(SIMC)
- 2017-PresentFellow, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators
- 2014-PresentShin & Kim
- 2012-2013Law Clerk, U.S. Court of International Trade, New York, New York
- 2013New York
- International Bar Association
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (FCIArb)
- American Chamber of Commerce in Korea
English, Korean, Chinese
- GAR Know-how Commercial Arbitration 2019: Korea (May 2019) (co-authored)
- Korea Chapter in Getting the Deal Through - Investment Treaty Arbitration 2018, Law Business Research (co-authored)
- Seoul IDRC Lecture Series: “Arbitration in the Time of One Belt One Road”, Arbitration Review of the Korean Commercial Arbitration Board, 2017 (co-authored)
- SIAC Investment Arbitration: Rule Innovations Are Only the First Step (2016 YSIAC Essay Competition)
- Note, Banking on Cooperation: The Role of the G-20 in Improving the International Financial Architecture, 22 Duke Journal of Comparative & International Law 239 (2012)
- The Great Currency Debate, China Bus. Rev., at 36 (May-June 2008) (co-authored)
- Panelist, “IBA Arb40 Workshop: Arbitrator Challenges and Conflicts of Interest” (IBA Annual Conference, Seoul, September 2019)
- Presenter, “Time to Be More Open? Adopting a More Proactive Approach to Publication of Awards” (Inaugural CIArb Asia-Pacific Regional Conference, Singapore, April 2019)
- Discussant, “Current Mediation Developments in the Asia Pacific Region” (2nd Asia Pacific Mediation Conference, Seoul, November 2018)
- Facilitator, “Drafting and Handling Early Dismissal Applications” (SIAC Academy, Seoul, June 2018)
- Presenter, “To be or not to be: Publication of Arbitral Awards” (ICC Young Arbitrators Forum (YAF), Seoul, May 2018)
- Discussant, “Investment Treaty Protections” (ISD Masterclass Seminar co-hosted by Shin & Kim, Seoul, May 2018)
- Rapporteur for Arbitration Committee Panels, IBA Annual Conference 2019 (Seoul, September 2019)
- Rapporteur, SIAC-KCAB Seoul Conference 2019: “Cross-Border Construction Disputes in 21st Century Asia” (Seoul, September 2019)
- Moot Arbitrator, Pre-Vis East Moot Arbitration Competition (Seoul, February 2018)
- Moot Arbitrator, FDI Moot Asia-Pacific Regional Rounds (Seoul, August 2016)
- Participant/Actor, KCAB International Arbitration Tutorial Video (Seoul, August 2016)
- Moot Arbitrator, Pre-Vis East Moot Arbitration Competition (Seoul, February 2016)
- Moot Arbitrator, FDI Moot Asia-Pacific Regional Rounds (Seoul, August 2019)
Awards and Recognitions
- 2016Finalist, 19th annual Kyung-Hee University Korean for Foreigners Speech Contest
- 2016Finalist, 2nd annual Young SIAC Essay Competition
- “Next Generation Lawyer” for International Arbitration, Legal500, 2018-2019