Mr. Han-Soon Choi is a partner at Shin & Kim, and his main practice areas include legal consultation and litigations related to fair trade, public law (administrative) litigations, civil litigations involving commercial enterprises, criminal litigations, etc.
Mr. Choi passed the bar exam in 1995 and served as a judge for over 20 years from 2001 to 2022 when he retired as a judge of the Seoul High Court (head judge).
While serving as a high court judge at the Seoul High Court, he was in charge of fair trade and labor cases as a head judge and presiding judge in the Administrative Division. He was also in charge of tax cases as an associate judge while serving at the Seoul High Court, and dealt with administrative cases while serving at the Daejeon High Court. Based on such experiences, Mr. Choi has built special expertise in fair trade, labor, and other administrative cases.
Furthermore, he has extensive experience in lawsuits involving commercial enterprise because he was in charge of company-related cases and other capital market cases involving stocks and funds while serving at the Seoul High Court’s Commercial Business Division.
He served for the Criminal Affair Division for Panel of Judges at the Eastern Branch of the Seoul District Court and the Criminal Affairs Division for Single Judge at the Uijeongbu District Court. He was in charge of criminal appeals as an associate judge or high court judge at the Seoul High Court. He also taught criminal law as an adjunct professor at Hanyang University and Yeungnam University Law School. Given such experiences, Mr. Choi has expertise in criminal law.
In particular, for a total of 10 years, including 9 years at the Seoul High Court and 1 year at the Daejeon High Court, he has extensive experience in reviewing and handling important cases encompassing administration, civil and criminal affairs.
- 2007-2008Fordham Law School (Visiting Scholar)
- 2006-2008Hanyang University Graduate School of Law (LL.M. coursework completed, commercial law)
- 1988-1992Hanyang University, College of Law (LL.B.)
- 2022-PresentShin & Kim LLC
- 2020-2022Judge, Seoul High Court
- 2019-2020Judge, Daejeon High Court
- 2014-2019Judge, Seoul High Court
- 2013Adjunct Professor, Yeungnam University Law School
- 2013-2014Judge, Daegu District Court
- 2011-2013Judge, Seoul High Court
- 2010Adjunct Professor, Hanyang University Law School
- 2009-2011Professor, Judicial Research & Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Korea
- 2008-2009Judge, Uijeongbu District Court
- 2005-2008Judge, Daegu District Court
- 2003-2005Judge, Seoul Central District Court
- 2001-2003Judge, Eastern Branch of Seoul District Court
- 1998-2001Military Judicial Officer
- 1995-1998Judicial Research & Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Korea
- Korean Bar Association
- Practice of Writing a Civil Appellate Judgment (Seoul High Court Judiciary Practice Improvement Committee, 2017) (co-authored)
- Fraudulent Payment for Shares and Criminal Liability (Cheongyeonnonchong Vo. 7, 2010)
- Trends in Precedents on Interpretation of Article 4 of the Act on the Registration of Real Estate under Actual Titleholder’s Name (Trials and Precedents No. 15, Daegu District Court, 2007)
- Key Examination Points for Different Types of Cases: Civil Case Management Know-How - Focusing on Role of Participating Officers (Seoul Central District Court, 2004)