Mr. Dong-Shin Yeom has provided various advice to and performed meaningful litigations for general companies, financial companies and construction, IT and pharmaceutical companies as well as high-profile individuals with respect to criminal cases related to corporate matters, tax, trade secret, financial matters, compliance and risk management. Mr. Yeom is highly recognized for his strong, distinguished capability to serve clients.
While serving at the Prosecutors’ Office, the Ministry of Justice and the Constitutional Court, Mr. Yeom has investigated various white collar and anti-corruption cases and performed trials, state litigations and administrative litigations in relation thereto, in addition to the research into constitutional trial. Mr. Yeom provides optimal legal solutions with respect to various criminal cases based on his extensive knowledge and experience in IT, finance and money laundering. Mr. Yeom has completed (i) the international anti-money laundering and hidden asset course held by the Asset Forfeiture and Money Laundering Section & Drug Enforcement Administration of the U.S. Justice Department, (ii) the IT Security Policy Course held by STG Security of the U.S. in Washington and (iii) the Intellectual Property & Information Privacy and Security Law Course at UC Berkeley Law School. He has also participated in (iv) the Chief Intellectual Property Officer Academy at the Department of Law and the Nano-Convergence IP Chief Strategist Course at the Department of Engineering of Seoul National University and (v) the Capital Market Act Advanced Leadership Program provided by the Seoul Finance & Law Institute.
- 2004-2006Korea University, Graduate School of Law (Criminal Law)
- 1999-2000Study at Max Plank Institute for Foreign and International Criminal Law
- 1984-1989Seoul National University, College of Law, Seoul, Korea (LL.B.)
- 2022Auditor, Seoul National University Graduate School of Law Foundation
- 2021Member of the First Personnel Committee of Seoul Metropolitan City
- (currently serving as legal counsel for various central and local government agencies)
- 2018Director, Korea Legal Center
- 2016Advising Attorney for the Improper Solicitation and Graft Act, Korean Chamber of Commerce
- 2011Question Writer for the Korean National Judicial Examination, Ministry of Justice
- 20111st judicial exam question preparation committee member, Ministry of Justice
- 2010-PresentShin & Kim LLC
- 2009Member, Committee for Examination of Lawyer Registration, Korean Bar Association
- 2009Chief Prosecutor, 5th Criminal Department, Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office; Deputy-Chief Prosecutor, Eastern Branch, Pusan District Prosecutors’ Office
- 2008Chief Prosecutor, General Affairs Department, Seoul Central District Prosecutors’ Office
- 2007Head of Preparatory Group for the Establishment of the Korean Government Legal Service
- 2006Director of National Litigation, Ministry of Justice (cum Korean representative at the SOFA civil claims department commission)
- 2004Deputy-Chief Prosecutor, Goyang Branch, Uijeongbu District Prosecutors’ Office (Dispatched to the Constitutional Court as Constitution Research Officer)
- 2003Deputy-Chief Prosecutor, Gwangju District Prosecutors’ Office
- 2000Public Prosecutor, Seoul District Prosecutors’ Office
- 1998Public Prosecutor, Legal Affairs Division, Ministry of Justice
- 1996Public Prosecutor, Suncheon Branch, Gwangju District Prosecutors’ Office
- 1994Public Prosecutor, Pusan District Prosecutors’ Office
- 1991Judicial Research & Training Institute of the Supreme Court of Korea, Military Judiciary Officer
- Korean Bar Association
Korean, English, German
- Cases of embezzlement, breach of trust, taxation, accounting fraud, trade secret cases of staffs and executives of major large firms and SMEs, etc.
- Advisory services on compliance, violation of the Financial Investment Services And Capital Markets Act, and cases of violation of internal disciplinary rules of staffs and executives of major financial institutions.
- Cases of violation of the Fair Trade Act, bid rigging and collusion involving staffs and executives of construction companies, online music companies, large corporates, and financial institutions.
- Cases of violation of the Public Official Election Act and corruption related to high-level public officials, national assembly members, governors of local governments.
- Cases related to pharmaceutical rebates, violation of the Medical Service Act by hospitals and medical institutions, cases related to medical accidents.
- Advisory service related to the Act on International Judicial Mutual Assistance in Criminal Matters, Extradition Act, and internal investigations.
- Country Q&A: South Korea - Business Crime and Investigations in South Korea: Overview, Thomson Reuter Practical Law, 2022 (co-authored)
- 100 Q&As on Financial Crimes (Shin & Kim LLC)
- Casebook of Anti-Graft Act for Companies (Korean Chamber of Commerce)
- Cyber Intellectual Property Law (Co-author)
- Constitutional Court Practice Manual (Editor)
- Commentary on the Court Organization Act of Germany (Prosecutorial Organization)
- Study on the General Provisions of the Civil Code (Co-author)
- Study on Criminal Prosecution of Internet-related Crimes under the German Criminal Act (Internet trade secrets, e-mails and computer crime, etc.)
- Research of criminal prosecution of internet related crimes under the Criminal Act of Germany, research of the advanced legislation support system (L-Project) (Ministry of Justice)
- Research of key cases of electronic mails and computer crime investigation, cases of computer investigations, foreign cases of footage recording (Japan), research of electronic court models and applications thereof (U.S.) (Supreme Court)
- "Leading Individual" for Dispute Resolution: White Collar Crime, Chambers Asia, 2015-2021
- "Recommended Lawyer” for Regulatory Compliance and Investigations, Legal500, 2019