As we enter the 4th Industrial Revolution, major technology, such as next-generation communication technology (5G), artificial intelligence (AI), internet of things (IoT), big data, robots, drones and VR/AR, continue to evolve and develop at a rapid pace. As a result, the entire ICT industry which extends to the broadcasting, communication, personal information and Internet IT industry (as well as many other sectors) is undergoing a quick transformation.
The ICT industry including broadcasting, communication, personal information and internet IT is an industry heavily regulated by government. However, it is also an industry which directly impacts other industries and serves critical roles with its disruptive technology under the 4th Industrial Revolution. In addition, laws and regulations often become important variables in proceeding with investments and M&As in the areas of broadcasting and communication. Combined with other various fields such as intellectual property rights, tax or IT, relevant laws and regulations continues to raise new issues. Accordingly, governments around the world are proactively being involved in the above fields by prioritizing the ICT industry as the core industry of the future. As a result, the companies in the ICT industry are expected to accurately analyze the direction and impact of ever-changing state regulations and take appropriate measures.
In order to effectively advise our clients on the above matters, Shin & Kim has formed the Technology, Media and Telecommunication (the “TMT”) Team which is comprised of industry professionals who have ample experience with the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, Korea Communications Commission, Korea Information Society Development Institute, and other government and quasi-government agencies. The TMT Team advises clients on general regulatory matters with respect to the ICT industry such as broadcasting, communication, personal information and Internet IT. Shin & Kim’s TMT Team provides a wide array of expertise and comprehensive legal services which allow our clients to devise effective strategies enabling them to take leading roles in their relevant fields.
Shin & Kim offers the following in connection with the TMT industry:
- Legal advice on government permits and approvals and regulatory issues relating to TMT
- General strategy advice relating to government permits and approvals including advisory services on related regulations of key, general category and value-added telecommunication business.
- Analysis of the latest regulatory trends and strategy advice on the new internet business opportunities such as the network neutrality policy including zero-rating and platform neutrality.
- Strategy advice relating to permits, approvals and applicable regulations in connection with paid broadcasting platforms.
- Legal advice on the re-approval of the home shopping business including consultation relating to the inspection on the performance result for such re-approval and other strategy advice relating to the PP business.
- Strategy advice in connection with TMT including regulatory issues on convergence between broadcasting and communication among others.
Advice on regulatory issues in the ICT industry
- Analysis of the latest regulatory trends and strategy advice on the new technology including the next-generation communication technology (5G), artificial intelligence (AI), internet of things (IoT), big data, robots, drones and VR/AR.
- Trend analysis of international technology standards including the TBT and strategy advice to the relating technology regulations.
- Legal advice on domestic technology standards including regulatory responses to conformity assessment and operation of designated testing institutions.
Legal advice relating to the protection of personal information and data
- Strategy advice on regulatory responses relating to the protection of personal information and data including personal information leakage cases of information communication services companies and regulatory responses relating to information protection in obtaining permits and approvals on location information business.
- Analysis of and strategy advice on the latest regulatory trends including the guideline on CBPR and targeted online advertisement.
- Strategy advice relating to data use and security such as big data, establishment of data center, location information service, clouding service among others.
- Advice to major Korean telecommunication companies on the comprehensive ICT regulations and M&As.
- Advice to domestic broadcasting companies on policy and legal matters in relation to their re-approval from Korean government.
- Advice to the global Internet IT companies on comprehensive legal matters in Korea.
- Advice to major Korean IT companies on the ICT regulations and M&As.
- Representation of clients in litigation and regulatory responses relating to personal information leakage cases including information leakage of a large credit card company and hacking incident.
- Advice to multiple IT companies on their M&A transactions.
- Advice to multiple venture and startup companies.
- Advice to government agencies including the Ministry of Science, ICT and Future Planning, the Korea Communications Commission and other public associations and institutions.