Kevin Choi is a senior foreign attorney at Shin & Kim. With more than two decades of in-house and private practice experience in Seoul and overseas, his practice focuses on corporate and finance matters, including banking and securities transactions, regulatory matters (including finance IT regulatory), capital markets and other corporate, commercial matters across a broad range of industry sectors. Mr. Choi has extensive experience representing numerous Korean and foreign companies, investment and commercial banks, real estate investment vehicles, private equity funds, insurance companies and other multinational corporations and financial institutions in a myriad of matters, including real estate financing transactions, compliance and privacy matters, restructuring and insolvency matters, asset-backed securitization, structured finance and derivative transactions.
Prior to re-joining Shin & Kim in 2017, Mr. Choi worked in-house at The Royal Bank of Scotland plc as a senior member of its APAC legal team and its onshore management team for 7 years where he managed a broad range of regulatory, transactional and contentious matters pertaining to its onshore banking and securities operations, as well as advising on various legal issues connected to RBS’ offshore businesses transacting with Korean customers on a cross border basis. Mr. Choi also regularly worked on Group projects, contributing to timely completion of a series of global restructuring projects of critical nature to RBS.
Before joining RBS, Mr. Choi worked at a number of major law firms in Seoul and New York City, advising multinational corporations and financial institutions in their financing, capital markets and securitization transactions.
Mr. Choi received his B.A. from Columbia College, Columbia University in 1996 in Economics and his J.D. from Boston College Law School in 2000. He is a member of the New York and Massachusetts bars. He is fluent in English and Korean.
- 1997-2000Boston College Law School, Newton, MA (J.D., 2000)
- 1992-1996Columbia University, Columbia College, New York, NY (B.A., 1996)
- 2017-PresentShin & Kim LLC
- 2010-2016Head of Legal, Korea, The Royal Bank of Scotland plc
- 2004-2010Shin & Kim LLC
- 2002-2004Associate Attorney, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP, New York, NY
- 2000-2002Associate Attorney, Sidley Austin LLP, New York, NY
- 2001New York
- New York State Bar Association
- Massachusetts State Bar Association
- Asset-backed securitisation in Korea outside the ABS Act
- "Leading Individual" for Capital Markets, Chambers Asia, 2020