Mr. Tak-Kyun Hong is a partner at Shin & Kim and his main areas of practice include corporate criminal disputes related to white-collar crime, anti-corruption investigation, technology leakages, and antitrust and competition. Mr. Hong has performed a number of corporate criminal investigations and litigations as a public-service judge advocate, a prosecutor and as a lawyer.
Mr. Hong received a Ph.D. in competition law at Sungkyunkwan University Law School, a LL.M. in corporate law at New York University School of Law, and a B.A. in political science at Seoul National University.
- 2010Sungkyunkwan University, Graduate School of Law (Ph.D.)
- 2006New York University School of Law (LL.M.)
- 1997Seoul National University, College of Political Science (B.A.)
- 2013-2018Member of Publication Distribution Deliberation Committee
- 2006-PresentShin & Kim LLC
- 2005-2006Prosecutor, Cheongju District Prosecutors' Office
- 2004-2005Prosecutor, Yeongdong Branch of Cheongju District Prosecutors' Office
- 2002-2004Prosecutor, Seognam Branch of Suwon District Prosecutors' Office
- 1999-2002Public-Service Judge Advocate, Korea Legal Aid Corporation
- 1997-1999Judicial Research & Training Institute, Supreme Court of Korea
- 2011New York
- Korean Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Representation of executives of a leading retail company, a telecommunications company, a bank and a heavy industries company in connection with embezzlement, fraud, criminal breach of fiduciary duty (bae-im) investigations/trials.
- Representation of members of the National Assembly, mayors, professors, education officials, police officers and executives of banks and construction companies against charges of corruption.
- Representation of executives of a semiconductor manufacturer, an automobile manufacturer, a polysilicon manufacturer, a liquid crystal manufacturer and representation of a global engineering company in investigations/trials related to technology leaks.
- Representation of executives or companies in securities-related criminal investigations and trials. Cases handled include insider trading within a conglomerate, stock price manipulation of a digital device manufacturing company, fraudulent sales of major shares of a company through accounting manipulation of inventories and revenue and accounting manipulation regarding evaluation of assets in a public company.
- Representation of clients in criminal cartel cases related to an oil company, a securities brokerage company, an online music service provider, and a healthcare products manufacturer.
- Representation of individuals and companies in cases related to the pharmaceutical and medical fields. Cases handled include anti-rebate law violations, insurance fraud, illegal referral and solicitation and the establishment of a hospital by a non-medical practitioner.
- Advised clients in internal investigations, including investigations of a Korean subsidy of a US-listed company, a president of a university, athletes and teams in a professional sports association and with regards to an alleged corruption and FCPA violation.
- Representation of individuals and companies in connection with extradition and cross-border mutual judicial assistance in criminal cases. Advised clients in cases related to the extradition of an employee of a global company, cross-border service of a court summon and mutual judicial assistances for investigation of executives in companies.
- Country Q&A: South Korea - Business Crime and Investigations in South Korea: Overview, Thomson Reuter Practical Law, 2022 (co-authored)
- Korea Chapter in the International Investigations Review, The Law Review, 2017-2022 (co-authored)
- Korea Chapter in the GIR Know How – Extradition, GIR Insight, 2019-2021 (co-authored)
- Review of Legal Issues re KFTC’s Authority in the Criminal Prosecution of Competition Law Violation, The Journal of Comparative Private Law, August 2018
- A Study on the World Bank Sanctions System, Business Law Review, June 2018
- Legal Issues around Fixed Book Price in Korea, The Journal of Comparative Private Law, May 2016 (co-authored)
- Avoiding bae-im, The Lawyer, September 2014 (co-authored)
- “Make Sure Not to Commit Bae-im”, AMCHAM Journal, 2014 Q3, Vol. 81 No.3 (co-authored)
- A study on the proof of Cartels (Ph.D. Thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, 2010)
- Analysis of US Judicial Precedents regarding Double Jeopardy Joinder and Collateral Estoppel (Collection of Theses of Overseas Trained Public Prosecutors, Legal Research & Training Institute, 2006)
- Legal studies on the Efficiencies and Failing Firms in Merger Analysis (Vol. 116 of the "Prosecutors' Office" journal, Supreme Prosecutors' Office, November 2005)
- Legal Study on Efficiencies and Failing Firms in Merger Analysis (Master's Degree Thesis, Sungkyunkwan University, 2002)
- "Leading Individual" for Dispute Resolution: White Collar Crime, Chambers Asia, 2015-2022
- Recommended for Regulatory Compliance and Investigations, Legal500, 2019, 2021
- Recommended for Business Crime Defence & Investigations, Who’s Who Legal 2016-2021