South East Asia
The volume of Korean and multinational companies’ investments and transactions in Southeast Asia have been increasingly expanding, thanks to its vast land area, abundant resources, high economic growth, etc. However, there are certainly many obstacles in foreign investment and local business due to frequent revision of laws, obscure administrative process, etc. of Southeast Asian countries.
Shin & Kim LLC’s South East Countries Practice Group provides consulting services on all types of legal affairs including the establishment and operation of a local company, corporate or financial institution M&A, real-estate investment, resource development, project financing (PF), financial investment, securities transactions, trade transactions, taxation, etc. in an accurate and prompt manner, based on their in-depth knowledge of and accumulated experience in the legal system and market trends of South East Asian countries.
Shin & Kim LLC provides legal services across the entire South East Asian region by establishing a local law office in key countries or forming partnership with local law firms, including local offices in HO Chi Minh and Hanoi, the economic hub and capital of Vietnam, respectively, and also in AKSET, an Indonesian law firm in Jakarta, the capital of the country.
In addition, Shin & Kim LLC also provides thorough legal advice to customers in which no Shin & Kim legal office is located including Thailand, Singapore, Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, the Philippines, Bangladesh, etc. by establishing a close network with the best class local law firms such as DFDL, etc.
The best-class Vietnamese and Indonesian experts provide optimal legal services.
Shin & Kim LLC Vietnam Office located in Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi have five Korean attorneys in addition to several Korean-American attorneys, Korean customs broker, Korean expert advisor who graduated Vietnamese law school, etc. working on a full-time basis. Furthermore, there are seven best-class Vietnamese attorneys who graduated prestigious law schools and have accumulated experience and knowledge in the relevant field in Vietnam and about ten Vietnamese experts that work together with the Korean attorneys to provide clients with optimal legal services.
Ho Chi Minh Office is led by Attorney Yeongmin Gil (Korean and New York bar admission in 2004 and 2018, respectively; completed the 33rd class at the Judicial Research & Training Institute, Supreme Court of Korea) who had worked at Shin & Kim Seoul Office for more than ten years and accumulated experience in a wide range of fields such as finance, M&A and real-estate by representing various domestic and international companies. Partner Gil also worked at Allen & Overy Hong Kong Office, one of the internationally-recognized law firms.
Attorney Youngsu Park and Jongdae Jung and U.S. Attorney Daesun Kim working in Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi Offices are Vietnam specialists who have provided investment consulting services in Vietnam for five to seven years and are well-regarded for their rich experience-based legal services in good faith by clients.
Expert Advisor Lina Park graduated elementary, middle and high school as well as Ho Chi Minh City University of Law and completed her training program at Judicial Academy under the Ministry of Justice while living in Vietnam for 25 years. Expert Advisor Park is regarded as the most talented expert who can speak both Korean and Vietnamese in the most perfect manner in Vietnam.
Shin & Kim LLC Vietnam Office operates its customs team in Vietnam led by Customs Consultant Cheolhwan Kim who had worked at Korea Customs Service, Seoul Customs Service, Busan Customs Service and Samjung KPMG for about 25 years and handled various customs-related affairs and provides clients with in-depth consulting services on customs issues in Vietnam since February 2018.
Meanwhile, Shin & Kim LLC Indonesia Office has been led by Attorney Daeho Lee (1st class of Sungkyunkwan University Law School (J.D.) who completed Master Course at Universitas Pelita Harapan (UPH) and published Introduction of Indonesian Law (Euro, 2018), an acknowledgement that Attorney Lee is the best Korean legal expert with an in-depth knowledge in Indonesian laws. For nine years prior to his secondment to Indonesia, he showed professional performance in various fields including real-estate investment, construction, PPP, M&A, general corporate consulting, etc.
Shin & Kim LLC has a partnership with the world’s best local law firms.
Shin & Kim LLC dispatched Attorney Daeho Lee to AKSET (ARFIDEA KADRI SAHETAPY-ENGEL TISNADISASTRA), an Indonesian local law firm, who is establishing a local law office and supporting Indonesian investment and business-related maters for clients in Jakarta in a prompt and accurate manner. AKSET, which was established in 2010 and currently has about 40 attorneys in total, was originally specialized in the resource and energy field and is now a well-recognized law firm for its capacity and expertise in the general corporate consulting, M&A, finance, labor and litigation fields.
In providing consulting services to clients investing in Southeast Asian countries other than Vietnam and Indonesia in which Shin & Kim’s local office is located, Shin & Kim LLC is establishing close ties with local law firms such as DFDL, etc. DFDL, an international law firm established in 1994, has offices in Southeast Asian countries including Singapore, Thailand, Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia, the Philippines, Bangladesh, etc., and about 150 experts working at DFDL have excellent expertise in the field of finance, general corporate consulting, energy, infrastructure, M&A, real estate and taxation in Southeast Asia.
Shin & Kim LLC provides legal services in Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia and other Southeast Asian countries together on a real-time basis.
Korean client’s investment in Southeast Asian countries require real-time-based consulting on both Korean and local country laws in the client’s language. In this regard, Shin & Kim LLC is equipped with the unrivaled network and local staff across the Southeast Asian region that can provide one-stop service for issues related to the Korean and local laws by promoting close cooperation among Seoul Office, Ho Chi Min and Hanoi Offices, Jakarta Desk, Indonesian law firm AKSET and global law firm DFDL.
Shin & Kim LLC provides not only legal advice but also comprehensive legal services covering management consulting/accounting and tax service.
Southeast Asia-related practices require integrated consulting skills to maintain a close relationship with the relevant government authorities, ensure effective communication and handle legal, accounting and tax practices. Shin & Kim LLC’s South East Countries Practice Group is equipped with comprehensive problem-solving skills by securing several attorneys and experts proficient in local language and providing management consulting services on communication with the relevant authorities and accounting and tax issues.
Areas of Practice
- Korean companies’ investment in Southeast Asian companies
- Southeast Asian real estate investment or development
- Korean companies’ investment in the Southeast Asian financial industry
- Korean companies’ dispute resolution in Southeast Asia
- Southeast Asian companies’ listing in the Korean securities market and investment in Korea Experience
Capital Market and Finance
- Consulting to a major Korean securities company and Korean bank on foreign loan and on-shore re-financing for acquisition of logistics related business company in Vietnam
- Consulting to a Korean finance company on factoring business joint venture in Vietnam
- Consulting to a major Korean securities company on acquiring shares of a listed Vietnam securities company
- Consulting to Korean funds established by AMCs on subscription of RCPS and CBs of listed companies in Vietnam
- Consulting to Korean finance company on real estate assets-backed foreign / onshore loans to Vietnam hotel business company
M&A and Equity Investment
- Consulting to a major Korean HR flatform company on acquisition of Vietnam IT company
- Consulting to a major Korean securities company on investment in Red Doors, Southeast Asia’s largest online travel agency (OTA) start-up
- Consulting to a major Korean securities company on acquisition of LogisValley Bac Ninh Joint Stock Company in Hanoi, Vietnam
- Consulting to a leading Korean logistics company on acquisition of Gemadept, a Vietnamese logistics company, and sale of share of manufacturer
- Consulting to a major Korean venture capital on recapitalization of Sendo, a Vietnamese online company
- Consulting to a major Korean construction company on Trung Nam Solar Power Project in Vietnam
- Consulting to a major Korean construction company on restructuring and financing of 1,240 MW Mong Duong 2 Thermal Power Plant Project in Vietnam
- Consulting on investment in Bangka PV Power Plant Project in Indonesia
- Consulting to a major Korean construction company on Slaweshi Biomass Power Plant Project in Indonesia
- Consulting on feasibility study of Jakarta Light Rail Transit Phase 3
- Consulting to a major Korean company on residential housing development projects in Ho Chi Minh City, Binh Duong Province and Dong Nai Province
- Consulting to a Vietnam subsidiary of one of Korea’s conglomerate on a smart city development project in Thu Thiem Area, Ho Chi Minh City
- Consulting to a major Korean real estate development company on development and operation of high-end shopping mall (Hanoi Mall)
- Consulting to a major Korean construction company on residential housing development project with FLC Group in Hanoi
- Consulting to a major Korean securities company on real estate development and financial investment in Vietnam
- Consulting to a Korean conglomerate on real estate development in Vietnam
Infrastructure Project • PF
- Consulting on feasibility study of Laos-Vietnam Railway Project
- Consulting to a major Korean construction company on Ho Chi Minh Subway Project in Vietnam
- Consulting on Soekarno-Hatta Airport Railroad Line Project in Indonesia
- Consulting on FS on wood pellet in Indonesia
- Consulting on FS of CALA Expressway Project in the Philippines
Project/Power Plant Construction
- Consulting on Song Hau 1 Power Plant Project in Vietnam
- Consulting on construction of hydroelectric power plant in Slaweshi, Indonesia
- Consulting on construction of coal-fired power plant in Tebo, Provinsi Jambi, Indonesia
- Consulting on hydroelectric power plant project in Indonesia
- Consulting on feasibility study of Yanggon Combined Power Plant in Myanmar
- Consulting to subsidiary of a major Korean securities company on extension of PF loan of Indonesia
- Consulting on reimbursement of outstanding bonds of Indonesia
- Consulting to a major Korean automobile company on the Indonesian government’s automobile industry-related policy
- Consulting to a major Korean automobile company on Indonesian automobile facilities-related agreement
- Consulting to subsidiary of a major Korean bank on mortgage settlement of Indonesian land, etc.